Ashfield-house.jpg

OPENING DAY---May 27, 2017

SHELBURNE FALLS TROLLEY MUSEUM

14 Depot St

Shelburne Falls, Ma 0137

 

Trolley No. 10, the beautifully restored 1896 Trolley, operated by the Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum will begin its 2017 season on Saturday, May 27.  The Trolley, built by the Wason Manufacturing Company of Springfield, Ma., was state of the art at the time it was built, and originally operated between Shelburne Falls and Colrain carrying passengers beginning on November 1, 1896, and then for the next 30 years it carried passengers, freight, school children and mail between the two towns until trolley service was ended in 1927.  

 

Originally, freight received in Shelburne Falls was hauled by horse and wagon to the Shelburne Falls Terminal which was located at the current home of the museum. After a few years, the company built a bridge for the trolley to cross the Deerfield River which allowed the trolley to complete its trip to the passenger/freight station where other trains arrived and departed to other section of the country. The bridge that carried the trolley across the river is now known world-wide as the “Bridge Of Flowers”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(Photo: Volunteers doing track replacement to get ready for the 2017 season.  In the foreground are Larry Krusz and Nash Bly and Sam Bartlett is in the rear of the photo, Photo taken by David Goff)

 

After the Shelburne Falls and Colrain Street Railway

terminated its service in 1927, the trolley sat in a farmer’s yard in Colrain until it was donated to the museum in 1992 and then it was restored to its original condition and returned to service on October 9, 1999. This season will mark its 18th year of operation at the museum, located in the same yard where it originally operated.  

 

Museum visitors are now able to take a 15 minute ride back in time on the restored trolley and they receive a short talk about the trolley’s history along the way.  The Visitors Center offers several displays relating to the history of the original trolley service, and also documents the restoration process that brought the trolley back to life. For younger children, there is a special area with electric and wooden trains which is very popular.  The museum gift shop sells train and trolley related items and books and magazines.

 

A red caboose awaits visitors to the museum and is open for exploration.  Also, an old fashion pump car is usually available for those who want to get a little exercise.

The museum is operated completely by volunteers and is open Saturdays and Sundays and holidays, starting on Memorial Day weekend until the end of October from 11 am until 5 pm.  During July and August, the museum also operates from 1pm until 5 pm on Mondays.

 

Ticket prices are kept very low at only $4.00 for adults and $2.00 for children 6 to 12 and free for those under 6.

The museum is always happy to have new volunteers of all ages and skills, both men and women, to help keep the trolley history alive and to keep the museum moving forward.  Free training and guidance are provided and Safety and Instruction Supervisor Alden Dreyer notes the need for motorman and conductors on weekends.

 

Anyone with questions about volunteering may call Sam Bartlett at 413-624-0192 or visit www.sftm.org.

Join Our Mailing List

Join the Business Association

Download our Member Brochure.
Outside Inside

You will soon be able to join online. Until then, call us and we can help you get started. 413-625-2526

The Greater SFABA Promotes Our Region with ShelburneFalls.com

SF dot com thumbnail

The face of our region is www.shelburnefalls.com . This website is supported entirely by our business association.